• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help picking out a suit.

cmrocks

Reaction score
I'm posting this in here on purpose because I don't think what the guys over in the Men's Style forum will have the same idea in mind.

I'm looking for something that is a darker grey color, 2 button, lower or mid rise pants, slim fitting and a jacket that is not overly long. I don't want something that is too flashy or anything. I just want something that has a modern fit. I would like to be able to wear the pieces seperately too. I'm also willing to pay to have it tailored.

I haven't looked around yet but I was thinking of checking out Z Zegna, Gucci, Prada and Hugo Boss. Any suggestions or comments?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Price range? I'd consider Paul Smith as well as Z Zegna, potentially Corneliani Trend. I'd stay away from Boss, Armani, Gucci, and Prada unless you get them at a huge discount, as they aren't the best quality and the aesthetic isn't attractive IMO. http://cgi.ebay.com/BNWT-Paul-Smith-...QQcmdZViewItem Something like the suit above would be great, if you can find it in charcoal, although personally I think that navy suit I just posted would be more versatile. Jil Sander would be good if you can find it. Heh, apparently people are avoiding bidding on this grey Jil Sander suit because of the gay interest title... http://cgi.ebay.com/jil-sander-suit-...QQcmdZViewItem

Max

Reaction score
H&M is you. Go, then hit up your tailor for a bitchin' fit. You'll be suited up for under 400 bucks.

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DucatiCole
I haven't looked around yet but I was thinking of checking out Z Zegna, Gucci, Prada and Hugo Boss. Any suggestions or comments?
Gucci is the only one of those listed worth a damn, and that's only for the more expensive ones made by Zegna to their mainline standards. (I love my TF/Gucci MTM black - !!!! - suit.) As for your others, frankly I'd buy a suit from Zara before I touched any of them. For a suit that's decently made and fairly priced, I think your only "designer" option right now is Costume National. (I like the looks of Strenesse Gabriele Strehle suits, but don't know about their quality.) Belvest-made Jil Sander is better, but the price is much higher, too. You could also hunt the outlets for a real Zegna or something like that.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SGladwell
Gucci is the only one of those listed worth a damn, and that's only for the more expensive ones made by Zegna to their mainline standards. (I love my TF/Gucci MTM black - !!!! - suit.)

For a suit that's decently made and fairly priced, I think your only "designer" option right now is Costume National. (I like the looks of Strenesse Gabriele Strehle suits, but don't know about their quality.) Belvest-made Jil Sander is better, but the price is much higher, too.

You could also hunt the outlets for a real Zegna or something like that.

Actually, Prada mainline suits range from garbage to surprisingly well made. I would say that Costume National is definitely a good bet for a decently made designer suit.

Based on your criteria, I would definitely go for Corneliani Trend or Z Zegna over the mainline Zegna line, which tends to be considerably boxier. Sure, the Z line is not as well made, but cut is much more important than construction, imho.

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Actually, Prada mainline suits range from garbage to surprisingly well made.

I've seen Prada suits that were reasonably well constructed in the past, but not in the last two years. It seems their suits have been dragged down to the quality of the rest of the line.
musicboohoo[1].gif

ineffable

Reaction score
don't go to h&m unless you want a suit you'll wear, max 10 times. really really bad advice.

i wouldn't worry too much about the construction, as you probably won't want the suit for longer than 2-3 years. if you buy anything from prada, gucci etc etc. you're going to be fine. i've had really good luck with ebay, but i don't know if i'd recommend that for a first suit. Go to harry rosen/holt renfrew and try on anything and everything. Find a fit you like. That's about it.

If you want to spend less money, you could take a run at ebay, but again, not a great idea unless you know your measurements, and it's still sometimes a little tricky.

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On this topic, what is the overall construction quality of costume national suits? Fused/canvassed, etc? Dior suit level quality, or better/worse?

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I also think Jil Sander would fit your description. Their suits used to have really good construction. Dont know if they still do. Gucci is probably well made also. If you dont want to spend big bucks (but more than at H&M) you might also check out the Saque Suit by Thomas Cunningham. He cuts his jackets on the short side and the trou have a relatively low rise. www.sacquesuit.com

Lysol

Reaction score
I'm not sure how in tune my forthcoming statement will be with the consensus of this board but, designer suits are a sham. Jil Sander, Costume National, D&G, Cloak, Dior, Prada...they all make wonderful cuts, all fitting your description but at that price point, $1500-$2500, you can have a decent tailor make you a nice MTM suit to your exact liking.

The one thing I think most people on the board will agree with is that eBay is your friend. Know your measurments. Know what they translate to. Ask the seller for every little tiny measurment and you'll find some great deals. The afformentioned designer brands usually go for half price or look for vintage British cut suits and you'll find what you're looking for.

Lastly, H&M, for the $200 that they run for, are a decent suit. You will get exactly what you pay for in terms of construction but they're 100% wool, have some nice patterns and fit very nice for the slim fella. Definately not an investment item but the fit is certainly what you're looking for.

I wish there was a forum somewhere in between "Men's Clothing" and "Streetwear and Denim" in terms of attitude. I feel like the Men's Clothing section can be very off putting to those wishing to graduate from fanboy denim and hoodies but not dress like their fathers.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lysol
I wish there was a forum somewhere in between "Men's Clothing" and "Streetwear and Denim" in terms of attitude. I feel like the Men's Clothing section can be very off putting to those wishing to graduate from fanboy denim and hoodies but not dress like their fathers.

That's an interesting notion, but I think it should be able to be covered by one or the other. For example, I really dig Get Smart's style: he wears the fine cloth, but with a streetwear attitude. I enjoy it when he posts in the MC forum because it's a nice counterpoint to the more Trad/Continental stuff. Similarly, I like it when someone such as AHarris posts about wearing nice loafers with denim. Basically, I think there could be more "co-mingling" rather than creating a third forum.

Also, I wholehearted agree with your assessment of designer suits. If one has a good tailor and knows exactly what he wants in a suit and how he wants it to fit, he could either have something similar custom-made for less than retail prices or find a gem on eBay.

Lysol

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
That's an interesting notion, but I think it should be able to be covered by one or the other. For example, I really dig Get Smart's style: he wears the fine cloth, but with a streetwear attitude. I enjoy it when he posts in the MC forum because it's a nice counterpoint to the more Trad/Continental stuff. Similarly, I like it when someone such as AHarris posts about wearing nice loafers with denim. Basically, I think there could be more "co-mingling" rather than creating a third forum.

no, i agree just echoing the OP's original concerns about posting this on "the other side." i've gained MUCH knowledge from the men's clothing forum to apply to my own style but have also been apprehensive about posting there myself in fear of breaking "trad" rules. the one time i did post there had a fellow telling me that my marriage was doomed because i was not wearing a tuxedo to my wedding.

without sounding like a bit of a stalker, i will echo my approval of get smart's taste. it is usually his posts that i look for on that side of the forum. i'm quite looking forward to the suit start-up label he mentioned in another thread. best of luck to him.

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lysol
I'm not sure how in tune my forthcoming statement will be with the consensus of this board but, designer suits are a sham. Jil Sander, Costume National, D&G, Cloak, Dior, Prada...they all make wonderful cuts, all fitting your description but at that price point, $1500-$2500, you can have a decent tailor make you a nice MTM suit to your exact liking.
Certainly, which is why I wait until they reach the $500 mark. Costume National suits fit me very well, are often available at that happy $500 mark. I just wanted to know how well-constructed they are in the grand scheme of things.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads