• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

It Will Be Cold Soon - Let's Talk Coats

Spencer Young

Reaction score
Having recently moved to Chicago, and hearing about Chicago winters, I've begun searching for a coat that can stand the cold (and test of time). I've been looking around for a solid wool 3/4 length coat to wear to work/play when the overcoat is a bit too formal, but there seems to be a huge gap between the $300-400 range and the $1200+ range; I can't seem to find anything in the middle. I've found an amazingly gorgeous coat at Burberry (no patterning/branding, thankfully) but the price is above what I planned ($1500). Has anyone had any experience with wool coats that have a nice, tailored, fit to them for under this price range? I've done the mandatory searching on STP/Yoox but yet to find anything worthwhile. Thoughts?

fredrik80

Reaction score

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
If you think you can make do for awhile you'll be able to catch coats on sale with plenty of winter left (well, in Chicago, anyway) in a few months. Since it's a long term purchase, you'll be able to get more coat for your money, which always makes sense to me.

jean_connoisseur23

Reaction score
this jil sander overcoat seems to be wearble...
0002h.jpg

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
try Macy's and get a Hart Schafner Marx coat. My wife bought one for me 2 years ago for XMAS in the camelhair/wool. Freakin' awesome. I can't wait to get another one.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spencer Young
Having recently moved to Chicago, and hearing about Chicago winters, I've begun searching for a coat that can stand the cold (and test of time).

heli-arctic2.jpg

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fredrik80
If you like the peacoat style there are lots of Ralph Lauren polo blue label "Explorer" navy coats floating on ebay really cheap, around $170-199.

They are made in italy by corneliani and retailed for $1800 in stores. I bought one of them recently and it was a great buy.

here is one
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Polo-Ralph-L...QQcmdZViewItem

It looks like crap on that picture, but see this auction instead for better pictures :
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN:IT&ih=020

hmm, nice but a bit overly nautical...

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Based on your criterion (save for the first vis a vis the "colid" requirement) I think that these fit the bill but I think I have to agree that to really battle the chicago colds Tomasso is on the mark.

PDF03-01.jpg

PD80E-06.jpg

PD80E-07.jpg

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've lived in Chicagoland, all my life ... am used to walking down 'the Avenue,' during the dead of winter. To be truthful, Chicago winters aren't what they used to be . . . not to say that frigid temps and piercing winds wont' be part of this winter's picture. But, we had some winters in the late 70's, that were almost unbearable.

Tomasso's suggestion is great, but not for a man, my size. I'm too short for that . . . just can't carry parkas of any style, weight or configuration. I'm with AlanC . . . the most beautiful coats I own, all were bought in January, either at Armani or Saks Fifth Avenue. I've gotten tremendous deals, on them . . . to 75% off, at times. My favorite is loose fitting, charcoal gray double breasted cashmere, from Black Label. Bought it for 472$, marked from 1850$, back in 1992. I get compliments, every time I wear it. It just keeps getting better.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jean_connoisseur23
this jil sander overcoat seems to be wearble...
0002h.jpg

crazy.gif
Two buttons? That can't be as warm as it could be.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I was able to withstand Boston weather by layering two great Loro Piana inventions-the silk/cashmere blend long sleeve polo shirt and the Horsey Jacket which is a double vented, hooded two piece coat of a cash/cotton lined vest and nylon/leather outer coat. It is long enough to cover my long sized suit jackets. They are both very durable but I recommend a quality dry cleaner or an occasion Dryel wash for the silk & cashmere polo shirt.

The Horsey Jacket has some cool properties like the ability to fold up flat for travel and good rain protection. It also has nice storage in a plethora of pockets. The vest is quilted so it looks stylish when worn minus the coat.

If you must go wool get some Storm System cloth to make it durable in the rain. I don't like the bulk of long wool coats so I avoid them.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I also suggest covering yourself in two layers, one of yak vomit and other of yak dung
dozingoff.gif

Spencer Young

Reaction score
I'm definitely interested in the waiting game, if I can stand it - what sort of discount does Burberry typically have at end of season, and what is considered "end of season"?

I travel Monday-Thursday, so the time I'd have to suffer through Chicago cold could be minimal; I think a hardcore parka might be a bit much if I continue to be staffed in relatively warmer locations.

Thanks for all the help thus far!

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
I don't like the bulk of long wool coats so I avoid them.

One of my favorite parts of the Winter season is pulling out the overcoats.

Annex20-20Grant20Cary_18.jpg

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I also suggest covering yourself in two layers, one of yak vomit and other of yak dung
With these comments, no wonder you don't post as much as me.

The devil wears Edward Green
Apparently true in your case.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads