• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The furniture we'll keep when we move

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since I also work with interior and furniture history, I'd be interested in knowing some favorite items of furniture or design owned, collected or used by the members.
Could be aesthetic, investment, sentimental or just plain functional..

(my apologies if this is a repeat topic.)

I have two leather club chairs in the style of Jean Michael Frank, in the Art Deco vein.

A new brown velvet chesterfield style sofa.

A Mies van der Rohe Barcelona chair (knock -off)

A couple of Eames LCW's

vincent

Reaction score
Originally Posted by designprofessor
Since I also work with interior and furniture history, I'd be interested in knowing some favorite items of furniture or design owned, collected or used by the members.
Could be aesthetic, investment, sentimental or just plain functional..

(my apologies if this is a repeat topic.)

I have two leather club chairs in the style of Jean Michael Frank, in the Art Deco vein.

A new brown velvet chesterfield style sofa.

A Mies van der Rohe Barcelona chair (knock -off)

A couple of Eames LCW's

Are the Barcelona chair knockoffs of good quality? I don't feel like playing $3000 for a Knoll. Do these sites that are everywhere with good looking furniture at good prices have items of good quality?

I'm mainly interested in aesthetically pleasing and comfortable options. MvdR, Eames, and some other early modernist concepts really appeal to me. What can you suggest without paying outrageous prices?

PS. Is there such a thing as a Madrid chair?

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vincent
Are the Barcelona chair knockoffs of good quality? I don't feel like playing $3000 for a Knoll. Do these sites that are everywhere with good looking furniture at good prices have items of good quality?

I'm mainly interested in aesthetically pleasing and comfortable options. MvdR, Eames, and some other early modernist concepts really appeal to me. What can you suggest without paying outrageous prices?

PS. Is there such a thing as a Madrid chair?

I'm not familiar with the Madrid. The knock offs are great. Purists will always disagree, but we have these in an public setting, I've seen people crawl all over them and they hold up. i got mine for around $1500. They came from Italy and I'd have to check for the manufacturer.

I own a couple of Eames, and though he is a giant of Modern design, they are the least used chairs in the house, mainly because you sit lower than most furniture, so i think people feel uncomfortable.

The Barcelona chair is great, but not the best option if you are going to watch a 3 hour movie in it. Also,if you get one, get the ottoman. I.m forever pulling something over to prop my feet on.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Cappellini/Schwan Irkel Bookshelf
2 Jacobsen Egg chairs
Cappellini/Newson Felt Chair
Cappellini/Wanders Knotted Chair
Vintage Vernor Panton Bar Boy
Ingo Maurer Holonzki
2 Castiglioni Mezzadro Stools
Maarten Baas Smoke Mirror

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hhmm,I'm wondering if we should get pictures in here.
I'd like to see this stuff in context
smile.gif

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
hhmm,I'm wondering if we should get pictures in here.
I'd like to see this stuff in context
smile.gif

Let me know which you would like pics of.

I also want to add to my list a Patrick Norguet for Cappellini Rive Droite Chair in Pink and Grey Pucci fabric.

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For function and aesthetics...

Gus Stickley Eastwood chair and footstool
Gus Stickley fall front desk
L&JG Stickley octagonal tabouret
Roycroft "Little Journey's" bookstand

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Let me know which you would like pics of.

I also want to add to my list a Patrick Norguet for Cappellini Rive Droite Chair in Pink and Grey Pucci fabric.

The egg chairs, but I'm not particular. It's just that when people post photos of their clothes so we only get these tiny marginal shots of their interiors. Its funny to see a high end suit and then a wad of dirty clothes lurking in the background.
smile.gif

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The egg chairs, but I'm not particular. It's just that when people post photos of their clothes so we only get these tiny marginal shots of their interiors. Its funny to see a high end suit and then a wad of dirty clothes lurking in the background.
smile.gif

Here are four pics without any wads of dirty clothes. I hope that you like them.

1) 2 Egg Chairs in front of Irkel Bookcase with Panton Cone Table
housepics001medium3rk.jpg

2) Knotted Chair with Shade Shade lamp. In background are 2 Tom Dixon Bird chairs and a vintage Angelo Mangiarotti vase
housepics002medium1lq.jpg

3) Rive Gauche/Pucci chair with sofa and coffee table
housepics003medium1zd.jpg

4) 2 Jasper Morrison Low Pad chairs with a Cappellini Ruhs Panca and an original Ingo Maurer Bulb.
housepics004medium6xd.jpg

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very very nice. What a wonderful place to call home!
The Pucci chair works. I like the clean open feel, lets the furniture work. Not many pictures on the wall, gonna stay that way? Where are you located, if I may ask?

vincent

Reaction score
Really nice place matt, it's a bit sparse for me but I like it a lot.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Very very nice. What a wonderful place to call home!
The Pucci chair works. I like the clean open feel, lets the furniture work. Not many pictures on the wall, gonna stay that way? Where are you located, if I may ask?

There are more pictures on the walls than it looks like, but not too many. The wall above the green shairs has some art on it, as do most of the non-pictured walls in the house. I grew up with modern art collectors, so I am always a bit apprehensive to put much up. Kind of a need to go my own way. It really just depends shat room you are in as to whether it seems bare walled or covered. We also have an abundance of windows.

I am in San Francisco.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads