• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to get cheap tuxedo in NYC?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
By cheap I mean I do not want to spend more than $750 on the shirt, pants, and jacket.

I have a formal event coming up, and I figure to be going to 2 or 3 of those per year from here on out. However, as I am just graduating college, I do not want to spend too much. If I need a "NICE" tux in three to four years, well, then I will have more than enough money to shell out $2000 on something. Not now though.

The thing is, I need the tux for Sunday, May 14. I could go shopping tomorrow on May 5 or on Monday, May 8. I want it by Sunday though.

So the question: I need one that fits okay. Where do I go in Manhattan for this price range? Also, it is best to get it off the rack and then go to a tailor, right? Problem is, I hope I can get something that fits decent right away since I need it fast.

I really do not like renting a tux, so I appreciate your help folks. Thank you.

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Run, don't walk to the Hickey Freeman sample sale where a tux can be had for around $300. Today is the last day.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Okay!! Where is it? I'm gonna run there right now. Do they have enough sizes or just really weird sizes?

billiebob

Reaction score
I got one, and immediately called up a friend who got one as well.

They aren't the "proper" styles being either

a. three button peak lapel dual rear vent
b. 1 button notch lapel single vent

but for 300 bucks for a full canvas tux I'm not arguing.

billiebob

Reaction score
18th st between 6th and 7th ave, north side. They had lots of sizes yesterday, but they're going fast. More available 44 and above. It's worth a shot.

Also, if you need suits, $1400 suits are selling for 579 and they have tons of them, top quality stuff.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I the HF sale doesn't pan out, there's a Filene's and a Loehmann's in the same neighborhood.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Guys,

I just wanted to say THANK YOU SO MUCH! I got a beautiful tuxedo for $300 and I will only need minor alterations. They actually had some in my size (38-40), so I lucked out.

Anyone have any idea how much these Hickey Freeman tuxes are originally?

Thanks again guys. You saved ******!

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Guys,

I just wanted to say THANK YOU SO MUCH! I got a beautiful tuxedo for $300 and I will only need minor alterations. They actually had some in my size (38-40), so I lucked out.

Anyone have any idea how much these Hickey Freeman tuxes are originally?

Thanks again guys. You saved ******!

Good deal. What is the styling?

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is the great part of this forum. Where can one post a question, get a response in minutes and walk away with a great deal. Well done.

billiebob

Reaction score
That is indeed the exact tux you (and I) bought. It retails for 1495 and goes on sale occasionally for 1000. Lucky day, eh?

Stick around on the forum and we'll have you pretty well kitted out for 80% off.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Seriously you guys rock. I felt like some kind of VIP calling up my stylist and telling them I need a tux ASAP, and getting it done in less than an hour. Amazing stuff.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Wow - that is a steal!

Great tux - sorry I don't live anywhere near NYC... the suits sounds like a steal as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads