• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

C&J Albany

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Tibo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
I really like the Crockett and Jones Albany being sold by Ben Silver:

http://www.bensilver.com/fs_storefro...y=6115&group=2

Is this shoe a regular C&J model or is made specially for Ben Silver? Is it a Handgrade?

Gosh, that's a beautiful shoe indeed ... Pity it does not exist in black as well. Does anybody know if Ben Silver ships to Europe ?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that AFAIK it's not a regular C&J model.

Duveen

Reaction score
Hi AC,

Not a regular model. I thought long and hard about that being my major dark-suede shoe purchase, but ended up going for the RL Alton @ ~$290 instead.

I am sure that I have never seen that model elsewhere.

What do you think the last is? The combination of a more-rounded toe and a toe cap makes it looks slightly less-than-perfect, but the catalogue photos that I saw in the print version were just gorgeous...

darkoak

Reaction score
I saw a pair of C&J Albany at Barneys NYC last weekend. Same style as the Ben Silver one, for sale for I think around $300.

Searched the web and found it's also available in black:

http://www.armenak.fr/produits/nos_m...h&id_marque=27

Anyone knows what last it's on? The one at Barneys looked sleeker than 337, but the salesman couldn't tell.

darkoak

Reaction score
nope it was dark brown suede just like the Ben Silver model

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by darkoak
I saw a pair of C&J Albany at Barneys NYC last weekend. Same style as the Ben Silver one, for sale for I think around $300. Anyone knows what last it's on? The one at Barneys looked sleeker than 337, but the salesman couldn't tell.
I'd guess the 330. I have the Downings (also available from Ben Silver), and they're on the 330 last. Comparing the shape of the Albany to that of the Downing, I suspect they're on the same last. Incidentally, I definitely do not see the round-toe Albany last as sleeker than the 337; to me it's just the opposite!

sysdoc

Reaction score
I've got a pair of C&J HG Albany in light tan antique and AFAIK they are made in all the usual suspect HG leather colors. With the Albany it's just the same as with e.g. the Hanover or the Tavistock - for some reason, they don't belong to C&J's regular HG line up, but they are available at certain store chains or via special order. Oh, and they are definitely made on the 337 last. It's the suede that makes the shape look different in the linked picture. Here's a picture of my pair:
cjlast3374a6nl.jpg

Tibo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sysdoc
I've got a pair of C&J HG Albany in light tan antique and AFAIK they are made in all the usual suspect HG leather colors. With the Albany it's just the same as with e.g. the Hanover or the Tavistock - for some reason, they don't belong to C&J's regular HG line up, but they are available at certain store chains or via special order. (...)

Does that mean that they would not be available via Plal ?

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, C&J is loath to sell any special models through plal.

I have a very similar shoe C&J made for Cleverley. It's great. So I guess you could call Korshak or Kempson to see if they stock a Cleverley adelaide.

medwards

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
C: Sounds like you're ready to order an Edward Green Lichfield or Canderbury in their mink suede when you see Hilary Freeman next month!
smile.gif

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by medwards
AC: Sounds like you're ready to order an Edward Green Lichfield or Canderbury in their mink suede when you see Hilary Freeman next month!
smile.gif

Actually, I was interested in this model specifically for its ability to substitute for the Lichfield, freeing up funds to go to other EG models.
smile.gif
Right now, I'm thinking about the Oundle, the Exeter (if still available), or a high-vamp loafer.

UR003

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJMan
... So I guess you could call Korshak or Kempson to see if they stock a Cleverley adelaide.
What exactly is an adelaide. A shoe with brogueing around the eyelets? Or does it have to have brogueing around the heel cap too? I am looking for a definition here. Thanks.

sysdoc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
Actually, I was interested in this model specifically for its ability to substitute for the Lichfield, freeing up funds to go to other EG models.
smile.gif
Right now, I'm thinking about the Oundle, the Exeter (if still available), or a high-vamp loafer.

If you go to Northampton anyway, why not pop into C&J's factory store in Perry Street and check for the Albany? They had it in several different colors and sizes last time I was there and it would be "only" 210 GBP incl. VAT. My suggestion for Northampton: go to Oliver St. (JL) first, because there you get the best bang for the buck. You pay 220 GBP for prestige line seconds/rejects that are up to 740 GBP in Jermyn Street. Then go to Perry St. (C&J), though only on Friday afternoons or Saturday mornings, and finally go see Hilary. EG sells factory outlet shoes for the by far highest price (285 GBP vs. 445 GBP in London). Things were different with Susie, but this time has come and gone.
confused.gif

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An adelaide is also known as a u-throat.

Lichfield.jpg

compared to:

berkeley.jpg

Does not need to be brogued.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads