• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classic Navy with BOLD white pinstripes Suit. Pics enclosed, views sought.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't see this very often in the States(you see pins, but not alot of bold white pins on navy) but I do have a suit similar to Mahon's/ andthis other guy, and I love it, however, I think it may need some refinement and balance so, I'm curious what you think about these type of suits for:

1. Business? Too bold or sensible?
2. Should you tone down your tie and shirt to balance the aggressive white pins? Recommendations for this type of suit?
3. Do you dare to wear brown shoes or should black be worn to tone down the suit?

Thanks for any insights.

r8gky1.jpg

r8gowk.jpg

A Londoner

Reaction score
Very English look, and (both pictures) absolutely acceptable here for business. Indeed, looks very City (i.e. Wall Street) in our terms. But no Englishman would (nowadays) ever wear the striped tie: we simply don't ... though some would wear a striped shirt! A toned down tie would not balance the stripes: paradoxically, a garish tie balances them because it draws the eye. An off-white shirt, however, might (again, there's a mild English preference against plain white shirts).

On shoes, because I see this as such an English look, I would have trouble imagining it with anything other than black shoes ... but I cannot really see any objection to dark brown ones if among people for whom brown shoes are acceptable business attire with a suit. I think it would look quite fine.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have a striped suit almost identical to the second one pictured. It's one of my favorites, and I'd wear it anywhere I'd wear any other pinstriped suit. Such a suit pretty much demands brown shoes, I'd say. If you're going to be bold, why go halfway?

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've also got a suit similar to the second, with the pinstriped placed at a slightly wider interval. I prefer it with brown shoes (and will even do tan in the summer!) but it works just as well with black. I'll often wear the suit with a striped tie, although I avoid stripes that are of near-equal spacing to the pinstripes of the suit.

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a black suit like the first one - it is aggressive, but I wear it to court. I try to tone down the tie when I have it on, although sometimes, it screams for a BOWTIE !

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I interned at a a bank in DB version of this and always got compliments from the higher ups.

There is a weird balance that you have to hit so that you don't look 1920's mafia like as opposed to a professional. I think the shoes make the difference and I usually do very mild tie , and shoes to balance the bold pattern of the suit.

I like the Navy and Black backgrounds white white or light blue stripes.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can the guy in the second picture breathe or move his arms?

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't like bold stripes. This somehow looks like a costume to me.

!luc

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think bold stripes look better in DB or 3 pc suit and an elegant cut like Mr Mahon's. Sartorialist's gent is comparatively less elegant.

Nonk

Reaction score
I have suits very similar to both. Chalkstripe is God's gift to business wear in the same way tweed is for country wear.

The more prominent the stripe the better.

I remain aghast however, at the suggestion of brown shoes.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The dark navy suit on top is great. The bottom one isn't the best fit for a conservative business environment because the blue is too light. The stripes look more like light blue than white/grey also, which makes it even more 'funky'. But it's an ok look, I guess, if you work in a slightly less traditional environment. Like the NBA.
smile.gif

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Soph
1. Business? Too bold or sensible?
2. Should you tone down your tie and shirt to balance the aggressive white pins? Recommendations for this type of suit?
3. Do you dare to wear brown shoes or should black be worn to tone down the suit?

Too bold pin- or chalk-stripes can look like pajamas. Or a deck chair.

1. Both suits are perfectly fine for business in Europe, don't know about the US, but am very curious, as I've got the impression that too bold stripes don't go over too well in America.

2. Tie: Bold colours, subdued pattern are my suggestions.

3. Black shoes are more or less mandatory, unless you're in the latin parts of Europe. In Northern Europe, I think you'd get away with dark brown, but black is preferable. Particularly in Britain, but also in Northern continental Europe, the tradition is still "black for business" and "never brown in town".

Which would imply that brown is for...?

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nonk
I have suits very similar to both. Chalkstripe is God's gift to business wear in the same way tweed is for country wear.

The more prominent the stripe the better.

I remain aghast however, at the suggestion of brown shoes.

Yes, the suit at the top is definetly more of a wider chalk stripe than a pinstripe. And it would be appropriate for any business setting. I also prefer the chalk stripe. And if for winter, a fabric in a fuzzy flannel with a bit wider stripe is just very handsome.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads