• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who makes the best leather jackets???

nighttrain7404

Reaction score
Who does make the best leather jackets in your opinion?

I have a bunch of different ones and have my opinion but would like to know the opinions of other members. Please share the designers you favor and why.(would appreciate the input)

Bruno Magli: Very soft leather. Usually Lamskin or high grade cowhide. They're treated to be soft to the touch. Definitely not meant to be a durable everyday jacket. I do not own one but almost bought a tan blazer.

Sawyer of Napa: I own a full shearling coat. The warmest/most durable coat I've ever owned. High quality shearing and leather. Retail price for this coat is 2500 dollars. Even the pockets are lined w/lambskin leather.

Hermes: I tried one jacket in a boutique in Honolulu. The jacket retailed for 7500 dollars. Honestly..it wasn't as outstanding as the price warranted. The leather was on par w/Andrew Marc but not up to the level of the Zegna leather's I've seen. A friend of mine mentioned there's a hugh difference between french made and italian made leather. Not sure how true that is.

Zegna: Truly the best leather jackets I've ever had/seen. I own two. A classic cut brown and a very thin overcoat style bone jacket. Both are super thin (almost paper thin) leather..I had no idea the skins could be prepared this delicately. They almost wear like a shirt. The lambskin is exquisite and beyond anything I've seen. Extremly fragile, and I take very good care of them. Both of them retailed for 2500 per jacket. Compared to the Hermes..a bargain.

Andrew Marc: Seems to be the most mass produced quality jacket as of late. It really depends on the type of Andrew Marc jacket. I have seen MARC brand which is the low end and then Andrew Marc New York labels that have some excellent hides. They are made in asia, not Europe, but do hold their own. I own 3 of these jackets that retailed for 1000 a piece and each of them have a suppleness and texture that rival close to the zegnas.

That's it for me..would love to hear other's insights and descriptions.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lost Worlds
smile.gif

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For a more rugged look:

I've been pleased with:
Vanson
and
Schott

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Don't ask me. All of the leather jackets that I have purchased make me look like an off duty cop from the 70s. I need leather jacket remediation.

nighttrain7404

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Soph
For a more rugged look:

I've been pleased with:
Vanson
and
Schott

Wow..those are some awesome heavyduty brands! Just saw them on Ebay

nighttrain7404

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Don't ask me. All of the leather jackets that I have purchased make me look like an off duty cop from the 70s. I need leather jacket remediation.

Haha..I have the same problem..that's why I'm happy w/the ones I got because they FINALLY get me away from the Die Hard 3 movie cop look.

rolls

Reaction score
I don't know who makes the "best" leather jacket, but I bought this one from STP:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/pro...Blazer-For-Men

It's Bruno Magli, Nubuck. I've worn it a dozen times or so, and it never fails to generate a compliment. The leather is very supple, soft. It's not hard-wearing, but rather more refined. The cut is slim and fit me perfectly without alterations. Worth every penny at about the $500 I paid for it.

nighttrain7404

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rolls
I don't know who makes the "best" leather jacket, but I bought this one from STP:

It's Bruno Magli, Nubuck. I've worn it a dozen times or so, and it never fails to generate a compliment. The leather is very supple, soft. It's not hard-wearing, but rather more refined. The cut is slim and fit me perfectly without alterations. Worth every penny at about the $500 I paid for it.

My sentiments exactly on Bruno Magli, Rolls

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rolls

That is very nice. But if I bought a leather, I'd want it to look like a leather; something a bit more ...rugged - like an Aero, Schott etc. To me, without feeling it, it seems that looks like a wool/cotton suit jacket.
How long have you owned it to wear a dozen times?

rolls

Reaction score
I think I bought it about a year ago, maybe slightly more. For me, it's a go to jacket for dinner/drinks when it's chilly but not so cold as to need an overcoat. I'm careful not to wear it places where I'd be concerned about anyone (but me) spilling on it.

In person, the jacket is easily identifiable as leather. Many have asked if it was suede. The pictures really don't do it justice. It's not, by any means, "rugged." I do expect, however, it will develop some wear over time and appear more broken in.

rolls

Reaction score
I just took a look at Schott. The vintage motorcycle jacket 585 looks terrific. A completely different look, though. I'd wear it out to any bar, free from fear that I'd carry some remnants of the evening home with me. I also happen to ride, so maybe I'll have to look into it more closely...

nighttrain7404

Reaction score
Yes, I am afraid of going into a bar in my Zegna lambskins. Actually afraid of going anywhere

jmonroestyle

Reaction score
Check out this company:

www.leather-ranch.com

They are a Canadian leather manufacturer and retailer. I have three of their jackets and a pair of their leather pants, and am really happy with them.

They use cow hide for their jackets, as it is more durable than lambskin.

Their jackets are very durable and well made, yet not super heavy (although they do sell heavier jackets also for motorcycle riding).

Their prices average about $400 to $600 Canadian dollars per jacket.

They are my favorite leather apparel company.

fredrik80

Reaction score
The nicest ever leather jackets i've touched have been from Baldessarini , and they were seriously expensive but the leather was erotic to the touch...

The great thing about them though is that sometimes you can find them at crazy discounts, at an outlet i found a great tan cafe-racer leather jacket by Baldessarini, marked down from Euro 1900 to Euro 250 , because it had a tiny tiny ballpoint stain, barely visible.... i never regretted that purchase, so nice

Except for them i'd also agree on Bruno Magli. I've really liked some of Polo's italian made leathers, they've been great and also at discount

Any brands made by Ruffo in Italy are great aswell, they do their own line aswell as for other italian brands (dolce & gabbana, versace and more)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads