• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fox flannel fabrics

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have access to some Fox Flannels. As I hold the swatch in my hand, I realize why the connoisseurs think of it so highly. I am trying to gauge interest in whether fellow forumites may be interested in purchasing 3.5 yard lengths of either one of these fabrics. If I get a positive response, I will get these shipped to me. I can prob send them out around New Years. Thanks

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oscar, I've heard nothing but good things about Fox flannels. Can you provide me with a contact number--preferably online. I'd be in the market for some plain flannel if it were available, but not, alas, the glen check or houndstooth.

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roger
Oscar, I've heard nothing but good things about Fox flannels. Can you provide me with a contact number--preferably online. I'd be in the market for some plain flannel if it were available, but not, alas, the glen check or houndstooth.

These are end bolts so that is why I am getting them at a good price (which gets offset by the shipping). I have seen some very interesting Fox fabrics and kick myself for not getting them. However, I recently saw a houndtooth made into a 2B suit worn with dark suede captoes and it looked very elegant. I am hoping some here will want to go in on this deal so that we spread shipping costs.

I could be wrong but I have heard numbers like $130 per yard for Fox. Yikes!!
Can someone comment?

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$130/yard isn't that bad. Is the GBP90 for UPS shipping? All the UK merchants I've had send things to me used them and that sounds in line with what UPS charge.

I am interested, though I will need to consider it in light of my ever-growing bespoke to-do list. Are these only available in 3.5 yard pieces? What weight are the cloths?

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
$130/yard isn't that bad. Is the GBP90 for UPS shipping? All the UK merchants I've had send things to me used them and that sounds in line with what UPS charge.

I am interested, though I will need to consider it in light of my ever-growing bespoke to-do list. Are these only available in 3.5 yard pieces? What weight are the cloths?

I am trying to find if one of my friends is planning a trip across the pond. If I find someone, I shall reduce the price.

Figured 3.5 yards per suit so I suggested that.

I have two swatches and they are mid weight. Lighter than coating and heavier than that "super-duper infinitum" that one sees all over the place. In my opinion not a summer or warm weather suit.

-

-

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you know the specific weight?

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alias
Do you know the specific weight?

Unfortunately, I do not. The pieces I scanned are all I have of the fabric right now. I think it is heavier than 11 oz but not quite 17 or 18 oz. That is a wide range but I much rather have a range than give wrong information.

-

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello,

In order to get and convey a better idea about the weight of the fabric, I compared the Fox swatches with two other fabrics that I have on hand. One was sold to me as being 290 gms (HFW worsted) and the other as 400 gms (Laidlaw? tweed). The fox is approx as "thick" as the 400 gm tweed, but the density of the fabrics is much more.
I looked at the HS page
http://www.hollandandsherry.com/coll...006/hs536.html
to get an idea of converting gms to oz and I think a better guess would be 13 - 16oz. However, I am not an expert.

-

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have both of these fabrics available if anyone is interested.

-

ineffable

Reaction score
What would the cost of one length be with shipping to Vancouver, Canada?

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Packing up and have these still. Any one interested. Prefer to sell both the fabrics as bolts without cutting into individual 3.5 meters.

Thanks

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads