• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stylish people on the streets of Italy and Paris

khaki sack

Reaction score
From the Milan pics ,it's sad to see even Italy has problems with urban thugs in ,baseball caps. Maybe that's why the recent elections went the way they did.
plain.gif

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by khaki sack
From the Milan pics ,it's sad to see even Italy has problems with urban thugs in ,baseball caps. Maybe that's why the recent elections went the way they did.
plain.gif

How do you know that they are thugs?

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Keep the photos coming! I'm really enjoying how your candids capture the mood and colour of daily life. Please keep posting! This has been one of the most enjoyable recent threads.
smile.gif
Originally Posted by mafoofan
but I don't see any evidence of significantly better taste over your average American.
Originally Posted by Teacher
I honestly have no idea where this comes from. When I was in Europe, people dressed a little differently, but I never thought it was any better. There are tons of poorly dressed people in Europe, too.
The key difference, in my experience (having lived on both sides of the Atlantic), is that more Britons and Europeans wear casual clothes that actually fit, whereas there is a substantial proportion of Americans who buy casual clothes that fit poorly. Young men, especially are more fashion conscious (and this may be a bad thing by SF standards
laugh.gif
) and are more willing to take risks. There are a higher proportion of young men here that will buy clothes that flatter how they look, and a greater tendency to wear clothes that would be considered "dressy" or "formal" by US standards. Much fewer youth wearing baggy, oversized jeans and t-shirts...Whether they necessarily have better taste in clothes or different taste is a matter of opinion. Not to be a contrarian, but I believe that with the exception perhaps of New York/Chicago/Boston/etc. British & European men's work attire is substantially better than your average American. Suit & tie are de rigueur (much fewer "business casual" offices), and the suits actually fit! When living in America I was often surprised by how many business men wore suits a size too large, loose/baggy pants, etc. Less common to see these sartorial faux pas if you're wandering around the financial districts of Edinburgh or London.

NorCal_1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SF needs a thread that's pinned that mimics the TheSartorialist because Scott's eye is getting weirder and weider by the day (more avant garde and less stylish, imho - but maybe he's just tyring too hard to capture the bleeding edge?)

we've got people posting here located in every major city in the world, so a thread like this shows the potential to make it happen

there's got to be at least one person per city that can step up per week?

maybe I'm dreaming

(plus it would bring tons of eye balls potentially and help out J via advertising)

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1

This would be fun. Instead of WAYWN, we could have a candid thread.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I lived in Europe and the UK, I was amazed by how small was the average living space. I was blown away by the high cost of low-end clothing. And I was dumbfounded by the inefficiency of the all-in-one washer-dryers that everyone had in their flat.

Compared to America, I saw this: Limited storage space (tiny closet) + more expensive basics + more trouble caring for clothes = more careful selection of wardrobe items. Not everyone had great style, but everyone did seem to have fewer things that they wore on a regular basis.

But I was last over there 15 years ago, so maybe times have changed.

Thanks for the pictures Hoff.

scruff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Urban thugs in baseball caps?

Ahh, you mean black people in baggy clothes...:
confused.gif

Knowledge is King

Reaction score
plain.gif

Note to self. This guy is racist. The political state of Italy has to do with the incompetence of Italians, not black kids walking around Paris (the photo is from Paris if you read the caption).

khaki sack

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Knowledge is King
The political state of Italy has to do with the incompetence of Italians

That is the view of an ,outsider.

Castiglione

Reaction score
Hi guys!

Nice photos!
Yes, there are loads of badly dressed people in Europe. But there are still less than anywhere else.
And the well dressed are - especially in Italy and France - better dressed than the well dressed anywhere else.
That's because there is a century-old interest in style matters. And because the offer of high-quality products is larger and not limited to a few high-price brands like Kiton, Loro Piana or Hèrmes.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I don't mean to be difficult, but I don't find these people particularly stylish. Their clothes certainly look comfortable and lived-in--which certainly counts for something--but I don't see any evidence of significantly better taste over your average American.

What I like about these photos is that they show people living their lives while wearing clothes that look good and without the air of trying hard that wafts around WAYW threads. Evidence of better taste or not- that is not something I'm looking for in the photographs.

There are ideas to be had there, and it breaks the groupmind/singular aesthetic that forms in the forum. In other words, these are closer to people on the street than to people on the runway, and I'm very happy with that.

Zegnamtl

Reaction score
Nice pix, seem to be all shot with a wide zoom, 16 or 17mm??

Did you only bring a wide zoom? No long glass?

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amiestilo
Fantastic street photography! Looks like you have an abundance of interesting material to shoot.

+1
worship.gif
also, what type of camara are you using?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads